[GE users] slot oversubscription

Alois Dirnaichner Alois.Dirnaichner at physik.lmu.de
Thu Jul 31 10:30:29 BST 2008

Reuti wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 29.07.2008 um 15:02 schrieb Alois Dirnaichner:
>
>> since I've changed the load formula for our cluster to "slots"
>> according to
>>
>> http://blogs.sun.com/sgrell/date/20050405
>>
>> to achieve a fill up configuration, oversubscription of slots per hosts
>> occured from time to time:
>>
>> HOSTNAME                ARCH         NCPU  LOAD  MEMTOT  MEMUSE  SWAPTO
>> SWAPUS
>>
>> global                  -               -     -       -       -
>> -       -
>> duncan02                lx24-amd64      8  0.00   15.7G  238.4M
>> 16.0G     0.0
>>    GHOLA                BP    9/8      d
>>
>> In spite of
>>
>> slots=8
>>
>> in the host conf. and slots defined consumable.
>> How could this happen?
>
> did you reduce the number of slots after the change? What is showing
> up when you check the queue with qstat -f -u "*" -q "GHOLA at duncan02"?
There were no more oversubscribed hosts ever since, so I can't provide
this information. Perhaps it was just some strange overload behaviour of
qmaster: We had to reboot the server recently.
What do you mean with "reduce the number of slots"? All slot complexes
had been set correctly hostwise and queuewise.
Thanks anyway.

> -- Reuti

Alois Dirnaichner

Rechnerbetriebsgruppe