[GE users] Grid Queu Setup Question

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Fri May 2 11:16:24 BST 2008

Am 01.05.2008 um 17:07 schrieb Sirisena, Navi:

> I'd like to set up queues in the following configuration, and am not
> sure how to do it. I suspect that I need to use some kind of resource
> attribute but some guidance would be appreciated (I'm new to sungrid).

One SMP with 160 slots or a cluster with a total of 160 slots across
all nodes? If it's the latter: some nodes have only slots for main.q,
while others have both queues on them?

> I have 160 slots available and 2 queues, ssay main.q and sub.q. I want
> main.q to have access to the full 160 slots and sub.q to have
> access to
> only 120 of the same slots. So if I submit 100 jobs to main.q, it can

You can restrict this one a node level:

$qconf -se node001
complex_values slots=4

(or whatever number of CPU cores is installed there.) Or with an RQS:

limit        name slot hosts {*} to slots=4

(This will also avoid oversubscription of some nodes.)

> use up any of the 160 slots, and the total number of slots
> available on
> sub.q would go down correspondingly. Similarly, if I send 100 jobs to
> sub.q, it should show 20 slots open on sub.q and 60 slots open on
> main.q. Also, as a bonus, it would be great if jobs submitted to
> main.q
> only used sub.q's subset of slots when main.q was running > 40 jobs
> (so
> as not to take away slots from sub.q unless it's needed); for example,
> 100 jobs submitted to main.q would show 60 slots open on main.q and 60
> slots open on sub.q.

You can get this by using a sequence number and and setting
"queue_sort_method seqno" - like filling the cluster from both ends.
Suppose you have also hostgroups defined:

$ qconf -sq main.q
seq_no                0,[@main_only=100],[@common=150]

HTH - Reuti