[GE users] Grid Queu Setup Question

Parikh, Neal Neal.Parikh at gs.com
Tue May 6 17:27:07 BST 2008

Hi,

I have a followup question about the second issue here (using the seqno
queue sort method). So I have several queues, but I only want to change
the behavior on main.q (to try the "main only" hosts before using the
ones that are common). It sounds like the following steps should do the
trick, but I wanted to confirm so I don't mess up anything:

(1) Use `qconf -msconf' to set queue_sort_method to "seqno"; this is a
grid-wide setting that affects all queues, right?

(2) Define two hostgroups, @main_only and @common, where @main_only has
the hosts that are main only and @common has the shared ones.

(3) Use `qconf -mq main.q' and set seq_no to
"0,[@main_only=100],[@common=150]". What are these 100 & 150 numbers,
and what is the syntax of this seq_no attribute? What does 0 mean? (All
the other queues will still have seq_no = 0.) I don't find anything
about this in the documentation, so I'm fairly puzzled.

With the above settings, all queues other than main.q should continue to
operate the same way, but jobs submitted to main.q will try the hosts in
@main_only first and then go to @common, assuming the @main_only hosts
have slots free.

Is this correct? Thanks again for the help.

- Neal