[GE users] Queue configuration

Erik Soyez E.Soyez at science-computing.de
Wed May 7 07:43:48 BST 2008

Good Morning Noé,

a PE "allocation_rule" of "$fill_up" should almost do the job.
But if there was, for example, one host with 8 free cpus and
some load and two hosts with 4 free cpus each and no load the
job would spread over the two hosts with lower load - I think.

To be sure:  Set up two queues smp and dmp, give the smp queue
a lower sequence number, configure seqno as sort_method, add the
two PEs pe_smp and pe_dmp to the corresponding queues and make
their allocation_rules $pe_slots and $_fill_up respectively.

Qsub your job with "-pe pe_\* 8".

Erik Soyez.

On Tue, 6 May 2008, Noé Vázquez González wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Is it possible to set up a parallel queue as follows?
>   - If a node has enough free cpus for the job, run it on that node.
>   - If there isn't a node with enough free cpus, spread the job between the
> nodes as usual.
>
> For example, a parallel job that requires 8 cpus, if there is a node with 8
> free cpus asign the job to 8 cpus of that node. If there isn't 8 cpus
> avaliable on the same node, spread the job between other nodes as usual
> depending on their load (4 4, 2 2 2 2, etc.)
>
> Thanks.
>
> Noé

Vorstand/Board of Management:
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats/