[GE users] Grid Queu Setup Question

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed May 7 10:21:09 BST 2008

Hi,

Am 06.05.2008 um 18:27 schrieb Parikh, Neal:

> Hi,
>
> I have a followup question about the second issue here (using the
> seqno
> queue sort method). So I have several queues, but I only want to
> change
> the behavior on main.q (to try the "main only" hosts before using the
> ones that are common). It sounds like the following steps should do
> the
> trick, but I wanted to confirm so I don't mess up anything:
>
> (1) Use `qconf -msconf' to set queue_sort_method to "seqno"; this is a
> grid-wide setting that affects all queues, right?
>
> (2) Define two hostgroups, @main_only and @common, where @main_only
> has
> the hosts that are main only and @common has the shared ones.
>
> (3) Use `qconf -mq main.q' and set seq_no to
> "0,[@main_only=100],[@common=150]". What are these 100 & 150 numbers,
> and what is the syntax of this seq_no attribute? What does 0 mean?

0 would be the value for hosts not being in @main_only or @common.
Instead of 100 and 150 you could also use 20 and 25 or any other
ascending pair of numbers. Something like:

17,[@common=42]

would also work, but for documentation purpose I prefer the initially
suggested one.

The syntax is explained at the beginning of `man queue_conf`.

> (All
> the other queues will still have seq_no = 0.) I don't find anything
> about this in the documentation, so I'm fairly puzzled.
>
> With the above settings, all queues other than main.q should
> continue to
> operate the same way, but jobs submitted to main.q will try the
> hosts in
> @main_only first and then go to @common, assuming the @main_only hosts
> have slots free.
>
> Is this correct? Thanks again for the help.

Yes.

-- Reuti