[GE users] qstat -j -xml output information

Joachim Gabler Joachim.Gabler at Sun.COM
Wed May 7 14:33:02 BST 2008

Mulley, Nikhil wrote:
> I would also ask for the following (I would mainly using the qstat -j
> xml for most scripting tasks) and qstat -j commandline output is fine.
>

> - JB_hostname - the remote execution host on which the job is running
> - JB_project - the project to which the job is bound to
> - JB_pid - useful enough for remote debugging purposes
>
> [I can think of the above for now, since there is a need at present of
> these]

I think the last sentence above describes well a problem we are seeing
with qstat -xml:
We do not really know which fields users actually need, and as long as
we filter out certain fields,
there will always be some use case, where an additional field is needed.

An approach to handle this problem might be:
- qstat (non xml) is a stable interface. We should not change it except
for new major versions.
- qstat -xml should in my opionion also be a stable interface, and
contain exactly the same information as plain qstat
- we need these interfaces to be stable, and we need the selection of a
limited number of fields for scalability reasons.
- for use cases where additional information is required, we could add a
new switch -full-xml to output all available information,
e.g. for the qstat -j <job_id>, this would be the whole job structure,
including the granted queue/host information for running jobs.

BTW, the JB_pid currently can not be delivered by qstat, as it is only
known to sge_execd.

Best regards,

  Joachim