[GE users] qstat -j -xml output information

Andy Schwierskott andy.schwierskott at sun.com
Wed May 7 14:41:30 BST 2008

Hi Joachim,

> Mulley, Nikhil wrote:
>> I would also ask for the following (I would mainly using the qstat -j
>> xml for most scripting tasks) and qstat -j commandline output is fine.
>>

>> - JB_hostname - the remote execution host on which the job is running
>> - JB_project - the project to which the job is bound to
>> - JB_pid - useful enough for remote debugging purposes
>>
>> [I can think of the above for now, since there is a need at present of
>> these]
>>
> I think the last sentence above describes well a problem we are seeing with
> qstat -xml:
> We do not really know which fields users actually need, and as long as we
> filter out certain fields,
> there will always be some use case, where an additional field is needed.
>
> An approach to handle this problem might be:
> - qstat (non xml) is a stable interface. We should not change it except for
> new major versions.
> - qstat -xml should in my opionion also be a stable interface, and contain
> exactly the same information as plain qstat

I think it became pretty clear fro mthe answerthat more info is needed than
what qstat (no xml) provides.

So as long as we do not provide  "-full-xml" (which should not be "full" in
my opinion since we know that there are lots of fields used only internally
by qmaster or scheduler with no meaning outside) I'd rather vote to follow
the feedback from our XML users and provide at least what qstat provides +
plus the additional fields which had been request so far or which are used
by projects like "Passau".

Andy