[GE users] SGE-6.X: Admin jobs on empty hosts.

Erik Soyez E.Soyez at science-computing.de
Thu May 8 11:39:54 BST 2008

Thanks Reuti, yes, that's probably the best approach.

A defined slot-limit for each exechost, an admin queue with
slots="exechost-slot-limit" for each host, a corresponding
admin pe with "$pe_slots" and a submit script that requests
exactly the number of queue slots for each host.  From my
experience I'd say not really fail-safe in a quickly evolving
heterogenous multi admin environment....  has anyone ever thought
about a built-in sge ressource "empty" or "nojobs" or "unused" or ....?

Erik Soyez.

On Thu, 8 May 2008, Reuti wrote:

> Okay, then I would suggest to have a special shutdown.q (by forced complex,
> maybe limited by an ACL in addition) with the number of slots set to the
> slotcount all other queues could occupy at the same time on a node. Then set
> the RQS or exechost configuration complex_values to this amount of maximum
> slots and submit jobs like before to this special queue with a PE. Means you
> will have to request e.g. 12 slots on a 4 core system in shutdown.q because
> you have 3 normal queues on this system with subordination.

Vorstand/Board of Management:
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats/
Chairman of the Supervisory Board:
Prof. Dr. Hanns Ruder