[GE users] xml-qstat and FlexLM

Olesen, Mark Mark.Olesen at emcontechnologies.com
Tue May 13 09:25:14 BST 2008

Hi Christopher,

Don't worry, the FlexLM stuff is definitely not required for xml-qstat,
but my slant probably does tend to show a bit in there restructured
code. Based on your note though, I've finally made a small change to
allow you to hide the qlicserver resources icon (the folder with the
database picture) based on the value in the CONFIG.xml file.  I'll get
it checked in as soon as the machine that I've been using for my ssh
tunnel gets working.

Just to add to Chris' comments:

> What you need to do is alter the redirect line so that it forces the
> browser to "qstat-jobs.html" which is the rendered view that does not
> depend on cached XML data from the qlicserver code.

There are 3 different means of generating the xml source data:
1) "qstat -xml" output that has been cached from the qlicserver.
2) "qstat -f -xml" output generated on-the-fly with the Java
CommandGenerator.
3) "qstat -f -xml" output generated via a daemon and cached to a file.

The entry point "jobs.html" corresponds to #1 and the entry point
"qstat-jobs.html" corresponds to #2 or #3. Thus, as Chris mentioned,
you'll have to decide which entry point you'd like to get redirected to
for a plain "xmlqstat/" url.

> (2) The 2nd change you'll need to do in sitemap is a global search and
> replace on "qstat.sh" and replace it with just "qstat". We have
> qstat.sh in the sitemap file as a debug step so that we can log
> whenever Cocoon makes a Grid Engine call. This was originally used to
> confirm by Mark that Cocoon  was not actually smartly caching XML and
> was directly calling qstat each time the page was reloaded (something
> we want to avoid).

Based on these results I would really recommend the continued use of the
older caching mechanism for now. The corresponding daamon and start
scripts can be found under "scripts/sge-xml-cacher.pl" and
"init-scripts/sge-xml-cacher", respectively.

Since the CommandGenerator caching is not working as it should. Every
load/reload request from each browser will trigger a complete "qstat -f
-xml" request. Even if this doesn't bother your qmaster much, I still
managed to annoy cocoon and/or java enough to receive a "too many files
open" error that request a complete shutdown/restart of cocoon/java. The
"qstat -j ..." request is probably okay to leave as is, since it won't
be hit quite as often.

Once the daemon is running, you can change from the on-demand mechanism
to the cached mechanism as mentioned in the sitemap.xmap comments:

  <!--
      The full qstat query traditionally used by xmlqstat and generated
      by the sge-xml-cacher.pl daemon.
      Use a symbolic link to point to the file generated by the daemon.

      If you are using the cached information instead of the
      CommandGenerator,
      search and replace qstatfCmd with qstatfFile below.
  -->

I've left the discussion here on the GridEngine list since there will
undoubted more people with very similar issues.  Besides which, I think
that the xml-qstat interface is much more useful for the end-user that
Chris' modesty allows him to admit.

/mark
serves as marking of its ?Confidential? status as defined
message from your computer.