[GE users] Limits on queues

Parikh, Neal Neal.Parikh at gs.com
Wed May 14 17:44:28 BST 2008

Hi,

I have a question about something similar. I used an RQS like "limit
users * queues sub.q to slots=100" to limit sub.q to 100 slots, even
though there are 160 cpus on this queue. This works correctly in terms
of not allowing more than 100 jobs, but the display is confusing because
it shows 160 slots available even though you can't really use more than
100. Is there a way of modifying this display (in qmon, qstat, etc)?

(For background, the reason I'm doing this is that those 160 cpus are
shared by a second queue, main.q, that has no slot restriction, and all
the 40 machines have a 4 slot restriction on them since they have 4 cpus
each. So the two queues will never be running more than 160 jobs total,
though the second queue can use all 160 cpus at a time while the 'sub.q'
can only use up to 100; this is so 60 slots are always reserved for use
by main.q.)

Thanks,
Neal