[GE users] cannot make it work on Leopard

Bernard Knaepen bknaepen at ulb.ac.be
Fri May 16 17:44:17 BST 2008

Hello,

I am trying to make sge work on Leopard 10.5.2.

I compiled the sources using the instructions provided at:
http://gridengine.info/articles/2008/03/03/building-6-1u3-on-mac-osx-10-5-2-leopard-server

Compilation and installation worked without errors. The appropriate
daemons are running on the server and nodes. However, when I try to
submit the simple.sh example, it gets stuck in the queue with status
Eqw. When I look at the messages file located in the spool directory,
the error message reads:

05/16/2008 18:05:55|qmaster|herakles|W|job 2.1 failed on host
node1.maccluster general assumedly before job because: can't get
password entry for user "bknaepen". Either the user does not exist or
NIS error!
05/16/2008 18:05:55|qmaster|herakles|W|rescheduling job 2.1

This has been discussed in the mailing list before but I thought it
was fixed by following the instructions described on the page quoted
above.

Are there additional steps required?

The only thing I did not understand in the instructions is the
statement:

# If I bind my laptop to my local OD server I "CAN" run jobs when
submitted as an OD user.
# And this ability services SGE stop/start

My computing nodes are configured in such a way that I can log on them
using ssh with OD users but I don't know if something else is required.

Any help would be grately appreaciated ;-)

Bernard.