[GE users] Dytran: Works from command line, not through SGE

Gerhard Venter gventer at sun.ac.za
Mon May 19 17:43:53 BST 2008

I am very new to SGE and ran into an issue that I hope somebody could
help me with - I hope I am posting on the correct mailing list.

We are trying to run Dytran from MSC Software on our cluster.  When I
launch Dytran from the command line (on the head node or any of the
compute nodes) it works without any problems.  However, when I launch
Dytran using SGE, I get an error message that states "Error closing
file".  We are using SGE 6.0 and OpenSuse 10.3 as the OS.

My submit script is very simple, and looks something like this:
#!/bin/bash
#$ -cwd
/apps/msc/dytran2007r1/bin/dytran jid=Klep72

As mentioned, I can run this script directly from the command line
without any issues.

I am not an Dytran expert, but it seems that Dytran creates a csh script
on the fly that it starts.  Could this be part of the problem?  I
cannot seem to find much help on using Dytran with SGE on the web.  I
did try to explicitly set my limits in my submit script to be the same
as from the command line (as mentioned in the FAQ on this website)
without any success.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Gerhard