[GE users] Dytran: Works from command line, not through SGE

Gerhard Venter gventer at sun.ac.za
Tue May 20 07:18:54 BST 2008

When I add the strace command, Dytran runs!  Adding the strace command
was the only modification to my submit script.  The output from strace
is several gigabytes in size.

The error messages I get from Dytran when the strace command is not
present, appear in a KLEP72_ERROR_SUMMARY.MSG file (which I have
attached for what it is worth).

Thanks for the help,
Gerhard

On Mon, 2008-05-19 at 11:48 -0500, Rayson Ho wrote:
> I don't know Dytran, but can you run this job and send the output to the list:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> #$ -cwd
> strace -f /apps/msc/dytran2007r1/bin/dytran jid=Klep72
>
> strace should show us which system call is causing the trouble.
>
> Rayson
>

> On 5/19/08, Gerhard Venter <gventer at sun.ac.za> wrote:
> > I am very new to SGE and ran into an issue that I hope somebody could
> > help me with - I hope I am posting on the correct mailing list.
> >
> > We are trying to run Dytran from MSC Software on our cluster.  When I
> > launch Dytran from the command line (on the head node or any of the
> > compute nodes) it works without any problems.  However, when I launch
> > Dytran using SGE, I get an error message that states "Error closing
> > file".  We are using SGE 6.0 and OpenSuse 10.3 as the OS.
> >
> > My submit script is very simple, and looks something like this:
> > #!/bin/bash
> > #$ -cwd
> > /apps/msc/dytran2007r1/bin/dytran jid=Klep72
> >
> > As mentioned, I can run this script directly from the command line
> > without any issues.
> >
> > I am not an Dytran expert, but it seems that Dytran creates a csh script
> > on the fly that it starts.  Could this be part of the problem?  I
> > cannot seem to find much help on using Dytran with SGE on the web.  I
> > did try to explicitly set my limits in my submit script to be the same
> > as from the command line (as mentioned in the FAQ on this website)
> > without any success.
> >
> > Any help will be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Gerhard
> > --
> > +------------------------------------------------------------------+

|| Prof. Gerhard Venter
|| Departement Meganiese en        |  Department of Mechanical and
||   Megatroniese Ingenieurswese   |    Mechatronic Engineering
|| Universiteit Stellenbosch       |  Stellenbosch  University
|| Privaat Sak X1 Matieland 7602   |  Private Bag X1 Matieland 7602
|| Suid-Afrika                     |  South Africa
|| Tel: +27 21 808 3560
|| E-Mail: gventer at sun.ac.za          Web: www.eng.sun.ac.za

    [ Part 2, Text/PLAIN (charset: UTF-8 "Internet-standard Unicode") ]
    [ (Name: "KLEP72_ERROR_SUMMARY.MSG") 53 lines. ]
    [ Unable to print this part. ]

    [ Part 3: "Attached Text" ]