[GE users] Can I stop backfilling?

Tue May 20 16:15:46 BST 2008

If your jobs are starving, what you're seeing is not backfilling. :)
What version of SGE are you using?  There was (is?) a bug where the
first RR job was ignored.  Submitting a second identical RR job, in that
case, would then cause the scheduler to take notice and actually do the
RR properly.

By definition, backfilling cannot cause starvation, unless a backfilled
job runs forever.  BTW, when you say your jobs run 15-20 minutes, are
they setting sort or hard run time limits?  If not, what is your
default_duration?

Daniel