[GE users] Can I stop backfilling?

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Tue May 20 16:25:03 BST 2008

Am 20.05.2008 um 17:15 schrieb Daniel Templeton:

> If your jobs are starving, what you're seeing is not
> backfilling. :)  What version of SGE are you using?  There was
> (is?) a bug where the first RR job was ignored.  Submitting a
> second identical RR job, in that case, would then cause the
> scheduler to take notice and actually do the RR properly.
>
> By definition, backfilling cannot cause starvation, unless a
> backfilled job runs forever.

Good point. What h_rt is requested by these short jobs? Otherwise the
default_duration will be taken (but not enforced) and this might lead
to a roll-over from one extending job (running longer than the
estimated default 10 minutes) to the next one and so onI fear.

>   BTW, when you say your jobs run 15-20 minutes, are they setting
> sort or hard run time limits?  If not, what is your default_duration?
>
> Daniel
>
> Kevin Doman wrote:
>> We have a very busy cluster that always have thousands of short jobs
>> (15-20 minutes) in queue. Occasionally, a user come in and submit
>> a 20
>> processor parallel job with h_rt=100 hours. While reservation is
>> enabled (-R y) and priority set to 1024, we continue to experience
>> job

max_reservation is also set up to a sensible value?

-- Reuti