[GE users] Load sensors and scheduling cycle

Olesen, Mark Mark.Olesen at emcontechnologies.com
Wed May 21 14:59:49 BST 2008

Hi Beat,

> I'm working on a project where transfer queues could save me a lot of
> headache. One open point I see is the load sensor which reports back
> the
> amount of free slots in the destination cluster.
>
> Is there any way to make sure the load sensor is polled before and
> each time
> the scheduler starts it's scheduling cycle?

I don't think that this approach will do what you want. The problem is
(again) analogous to using load sensors and external licence management.
Even apart from the overhead of calling a load sensor for XX hosts
before each scheduler run and decay problems, you seriously risk
dispatching too many jobs at a particular scheduling interval.

To test this configuration, you could have a very small report interval
(eg, 5 sec) and a very long scheduling interval (eg, 60 sec).

For testing, you could stuff the cluster with lots of jobs awaiting a
free transfer queue. As soon as a slot becomes available (as reported by
the load sensor), all the jobs will be dispatched ... even if there is
only room for 1 job.

If you (mis)use a load sensor to adjust a consumable complex and then
catch any problems with a starter script you might get it to work
though.

/mark
serves as marking of its ?Confidential? status as defined
message from your computer.