[GE users] Dytran: Works from command line, not through SGE

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Thu May 22 09:24:13 BST 2008

Am 19.05.2008 um 18:43 schrieb Gerhard Venter:

> I am very new to SGE and ran into an issue that I hope somebody could
> help me with - I hope I am posting on the correct mailing list.
>
> We are trying to run Dytran from MSC Software on our cluster.  When I
> launch Dytran from the command line (on the head node or any of the
> compute nodes) it works without any problems.  However, when I launch
> Dytran using SGE, I get an error message that states "Error closing
> file".  We are using SGE 6.0 and OpenSuse 10.3 as the OS.
>
> My submit script is very simple, and looks something like this:
> #!/bin/bash
> #$ -cwd
> /apps/msc/dytran2007r1/bin/dytran jid=Klep72
>
> As mentioned, I can run this script directly from the command line
> without any issues.
>
> I am not an Dytran expert, but it seems that Dytran creates a csh
> script
> on the fly that it starts.  Could this be part of the problem?  I
> cannot seem to find much help on using Dytran with SGE on the web.  I
> did try to explicitly set my limits in my submit script to be the same
> as from the command line (as mentioned in the FAQ on this website)
> without any success.

When this application creates a new job script on the fly, it might
indeed jump out of SGE's control. But I never heard about such an
error when closing a file. Maybe Dytran is using $TMPDIR which is
removed after the job (but even then it's just like unlinking a file
and it should just disappear - unless they meaning "appending some to
the file to mark it as closed" or so.)

To avoid the creation of an additonal shell (csh as kid of bash),
maybe you can try the small adjustment and prepend an exec:

exec /apps/msc/dytran2007r1/bin/dytran jid=Klep72

This will replace the bash with your application, so one process less
in the process tree.

-- Reuti