[GE users] conditional resource requirements

Robert Olson olson at mcs.anl.gov
Sat May 31 21:39:10 BST 2008

Is there any way to specify a conditional memory requirement? I've got a job that will run on either our PPC nodes or our Intel nodes; however, on intel it requires twice the RAM as on PPC for the same job (a NCBI blastall run; it's still not clear why it's taking twice the ram on the Intel hardware). It's possible that we could oversubscribe the RAM on the 8-core intel nodes, but not on the 2-processor PPC nodes. I can't just use -l mem_free=3g to request the 3G it requires on Intel, since I then won't be able to run two copies on the 4G PPC nodes (which do have enough RAM to run two copies of the code that take 1.5G each).

any ideas?

Thanks,
--bob