[GE users] Array Jobs and Resource Allocation

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Sun Nov 2 17:15:36 GMT 2008

Am 02.11.2008 um 03:47 schrieb Mag Gam:

> I have a job that creates 10 index jobs and executes.
>
> #!/bin/bash
> #$ -R y
> #$ -l h_vmem=16G
> #$ -t 1-10
>
> job -i file.$SGE_TASK_ID
>
> My question is since I will be running 10 sub jobs, would it reserve
> 16G each or 16G total?

Array jobs are just multiple instances of the same job, all with the
same limits. So it will be per task. But it will not reserve
anything, it's just a limit per task.

> I prefer we request for 16G each since this is
> a very memory intensive job. Also, is this the correct way to reserve
> for resources?

As it's a limit per task, it won't honor the already used memory on
each machine. Please have a look here, if you woukld like to have
more advanced memory handling:

http://gridengine.sunsource.net/servlets/ReadMsg?list=users&msgNo=26701