[GE users] What happens when availability window is reached?

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Mon Nov 3 13:09:44 GMT 2008

Hi,

Am 03.11.2008 um 00:36 schrieb skip at pobox.com:

>     reuti> You mean when you use a calendar? man calendar_conf
>
>     reuti> off=like disabled in qmod, the jobs will run until their
> end
>     reuti> suspended=suspended and still blocking resources
>
> Alas, it doesn't tell me what suspended means.  Tell me if I'm
> interpreting
> the man page and your reply correctly:
>
>     * "off" means jobs which are started before the end time will
> continue
>       to run but new jobs will not be accepted.

correct.

>     * "suspended" means that running jobs will be suspended.  Will
> new jobs
>       be accepted?

The queue will be suspended, and as a result also the jobs therein.
No jobs will be scheduled to a suspended queue.

It's like qmod: there is the option to suspend jobs individually or
queues. The calendar will suspend queues.

>>> Is there some sort of frequently asked questions page for SGE?
>
>     reuti> There are some links on the "Howto" page.
>
> Which leads me to the next question.  I found the "official"
> documentation:
>
>     http://gridengine.sunsource.net/documentation.html
>
> and which was what I picked through before posting my question.  It
> refers
> to a FAQ:
>
>     http://gridengine.sunsource.net/GEDomainFAQ.html
>
> which doesn't seem that useful.  There is also a link to a wiki there:
>
>     http://wiki.gridengine.info/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
>
> but after seeing your answer and knowing what to search for I
> googled for
> "sun grid engine suspended queue" which led me to
>
>     http://wikis.sun.com/display/GridEngine/Grid+Engine
>
>     reuti> Searching the mail archive will also reveal much
> information.
>
> The list archives at
>
>     http://gridengine.sunsource.net/servlets/SummarizeList?
> listName=users
>
> seem to be searchable using Google.
>
> Are there more key sources of SGE documentation I've missed?

Besides its Wiki http://gridengine.info/ on it's own. And Stephan's
blog: http://blogs.sun.com/sgrell/entry/
grid_engine_scheduler_hacks_least

-- Reuti