[GE users] Job share

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Tue Nov 4 11:31:41 GMT 2008

Hi Roger,

By default there is no resource allocation policy enabled. The
behavior you will get with a default out-of-the-box install is
referred to as FIFO or "First In, First Out" -- the jobs are
dispatched essentially in the order in which they were submitted -
exactly the behavior you are seeing now.

The SGE docs at http://wikis.sun.com can help you get a policy in
place that does what you want for resource allocation. There are some
gurus on this list who are particularly good at translating exotic
allocation needs into actual SGE configurations.

If you are looking for a simple "all users treated equally" behavior
(what I usually recommend for new users until they get an idea of how
they want to tune things for their specific workflows) then I'd
recommend setting up a functional policy that does "fairshare by
user". The setup is trivial and is documented here:

Video screencast: http://www.screencast.com/t/Qb6tBziDcTU
Article: http://gridengine.info/2006/01/17/easy-setup-of-equal-user-fairshare-policy

-Chris