[GE users] SGE 6.2 & Advance Reservation

Mark Dixon m.c.dixon at leeds.ac.uk
Tue Nov 4 12:25:32 GMT 2008

Hi,

First, many thanks for the new release! SGE 6.2 certainly has features
which will come in useful. Speaking of which...

I've been tinkering with the new Advance Reservation functionality on our
test cluster. From the documentation and testing, I see that specific
queue instances are given to a Reservation at submission time and that
this allocation is static.

For example, if an assigned host crashes, the Reservation goes into an
error state (hard or soft). It does not attempt to adjust the list of
resources given to the Reservation, even on an idle cluster.

I had naively expected that the Advance Reservation functionality would
take advantage of the pre-existing Resource Reservation feature: an error
state would only be seen if an assigned host goes down and the scheduler
could not honour the Reservation by identifying alternative resources it
could use.

Is anyone able to comment on this please?

Best wishes,

Mark
Mark Dixon                       Email    : m.c.dixon at leeds.ac.uk
HPC/Grid Systems Support         Tel (int): 35429
Information Systems Services     Tel (ext): +44(0)113 343 5429
University of Leeds, LS2 9JT, UK