[GE users] Allowing jobs to take over a whole host but only use 1 CPU

Sofia Bassil sofia.bassil at fra.se
Tue Nov 4 15:21:03 GMT 2008

Hello,

How do I configure the queue system so that my users can allocate a
whole compute node but only use one CPU (out of 2)? The purpose is to
avoid having to share memory with other jobs. The users  want to be able
to say that they need for instance 10 cores and have the queue system
allocate 10 compute nodes, use one CPU in each node, and block other
jobs from using the remaining CPU. I have read the instructions at
http://gridengine.info/2005/09/22/allowing-user-jobs-to-take-over-entire-nodes
which seems to describe what I need, but I don't completely understand
the instructions and the sge_pe man page. I have two queues in my system
currently, one that has slots set to 2 and one that has slots set to 1.
Both queues share the same hostgroup. The queue with one slot defined
was created for this purpose, and as far as I understand, it allocates
one CPU per compute node but it doesn't block other jobs from allocating
the remaining CPU. Is that correct?

Can I set up a parallel environment that does what I need? Which queue
should I attach it to in that case, or how should a queue be configured
(slot-wise) to be suitable? How should the users run qsub to use this
feature?

Sincerely,
Sofia Bassil