[GE users] Allowing jobs to take over a whole host but only use 1 CPU

Olesen, Mark Mark.Olesen at emcontechnologies.com
Tue Nov 4 15:28:13 GMT 2008

> How do I configure the queue system so that my users can allocate a
> whole compute node but only use one CPU (out of 2)? The purpose is to
> avoid having to share memory with other jobs. The users  want to be
> able
> to say that they need for instance 10 cores and have the queue system
> allocate 10 compute nodes, use one CPU in each node, and block other
> jobs from using the remaining CPU.

We usually do this with mutually subordinate queues.
Setup the 'greedy' queue to have a single slot per node, and the
'normal' queue to have 2 slots.

queue description 1:
    qname                 greedy
    subordinate_list      normal=1

queue description 2:
    qname                 normal
    subordinate_list      greedy=1

With this setup, only one of the queues can be active on the node at any
one time.

> I have read the instructions at
> http://gridengine.info/2005/09/22/allowing-user-jobs-to-take-over-
> entire-nodes
> which seems to describe what I need, but I don't completely understand
> the instructions and the sge_pe man page. I have two queues in my
> system
> currently, one that has slots set to 2 and one that has slots set to
> 1.
> Both queues share the same hostgroup. The queue with one slot defined
> was created for this purpose, and as far as I understand, it allocates
> one CPU per compute node but it doesn't block other jobs from
> allocating
> the remaining CPU. Is that correct?
>
> Can I set up a parallel environment that does what I need? Which queue
> should I attach it to in that case, or how should a queue be
> configured
> (slot-wise) to be suitable? How should the users run qsub to use this
> feature?
>
> Sincerely,
> Sofia Bassil
message from your computer.