[GE users] job suspension based on queue priority

Jigar Halani jigar at talentain.com
Wed Nov 5 14:42:11 GMT 2008

Hi All,

I am facing some issue in my environment, below are the details for the
same. Appreciate for the help.

I have total 100 system with 50 configured under small.q Queue (small jobs
will run on this system), 30 system are configured under medium.q  (medium
jobs will run on this system) and I have 20 systems configured under big.q
(large jobs will run on this system). I am using SGE 6.1u5.

.         I have to configure queues based on time limit, e.g. small.q will
only allow jobs to be execute for 1 minute. I have set CPU limit for 1
minute, it works fine but that kills the job but user wants job to be
suspended. Is there any option to set the same?

.         Second i am also not getting any clue on how to configure job
suspension based on the Queue priority. E.g. Let's say I have 10 licenses of
a application-A and I am currently running 10 jobs in big.q, now one user
submit's a job in small.q, so the SGE  should suspend the last job submitted
in the big.q and occupy the license for the job submitted in small.q. Once
the job is over (as the job will not run for more then 1 minute users are OK
by suspending big.q jobs) the resource (license) will be given back to the
suspended job. I have gone through the
http://gridengine.sunsource.net/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=38
<http://gridengine.sunsource.net/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=38&dsMessageId=
72816> &dsMessageId=72816 thread but have not got the solution.

Awaiting for your reply and thanks in advance.

--

Thanks and regards,

Jigar Halani

Talentain Technologies Pvt. Ltd.