[GE users] job suspension based on queue priority

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed Nov 5 14:58:48 GMT 2008

Am 05.11.2008 um 15:42 schrieb Jigar Halani:

> I am facing some issue in my environment, below are the details for
> the same. Appreciate for the help.
>
> I have total 100 system with 50 configured under small.q Queue
> (small jobs will run on this system), 30 system are configured
> under medium.q  (medium jobs will run on this system) and I have 20
> systems configured under big.q (large jobs will run on this
> system). I am using SGE 6.1u5.

you mean: every system has only on queue on it?

> ·         I have to configure queues based on time limit, e.g.
> small.q will only allow jobs to be execute for 1 minute. I have set
> CPU limit for 1 minute, it works fine but that kills the job but
> user wants job to be suspended. Is there any option to set the same?

You can suspend jobs, but when there is only one queue on it, it
makes hardly sense. What would be your condition to unsuspend the job
again?

> ·         Second i am also not getting any clue on how to configure
> job suspension based on the Queue priority. E.g. Let?s say I have
> 10 licenses of a application-A and I am currently running 10 jobs
> in big.q, now one user submit?s a job in small.q, so the SGE
> should suspend the last job submitted in the big.q and occupy the
> license for the job submitted in small.q.

This is not possible in SGE without the help of a co-scheduler. As
all licenses are used up, SGE wouldn't schedule any additonal job.
Especially, as also suspended jobs still use the resources. The co-
scheduler would need to suspend a job (which also must agree to give
the license back) and adjust the license count in SGE.

-- Reuti