[GE users] Need To Be Pointed in Right Direction

Jon Forrest jlforrest at berkeley.edu
Wed Nov 5 19:06:47 GMT 2008

I'm new to SGE so I have some questions.
Rather than being told the complete answer,
I'm interested in being pointed to where
I could look to figure out the answers myself.
(I'm using SGE 6.1 in Rocks 5.0.3).

Here are my three questions:

1) I need to setup my queue so that
a user who hasn't been using the cluster much
will get preference over a user who has been using
it a lot. From what I've read, functional tickets
are the way to handle this. Is this correct?
Any good examples of how this is done?

2) I need to do what's necessary so that a user
can request a specific number of cores, but
the cores all need to be on one node. If that
number of cores isn't available on one node the
job must wait rather than being started using more
than one node. Am I right that a separate PE is the
way to go here? Examples?

3) One way to see if the changes I'll be making
to solve #1 and #2 above work is to just try
submitting jobs and changing things until I get
things right. What I'm looking for instead is
a way to see the decisions that the scheduler
makes when deciding what job to start. I might
still have to try things until I get them right
but at least I'd be able to see what SGE is doing.
How can I see these decisions?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Cordially,
--