[GE users] Need To Be Pointed in Right Direction

craffi dag at sonsorol.org
Wed Nov 5 19:14:08 GMT 2008

On Nov 5, 2008, at 2:06 PM, Jon Forrest wrote:

> I'm new to SGE so I have some questions.
> Rather than being told the complete answer,
> I'm interested in being pointed to where
> I could look to figure out the answers myself.
> (I'm using SGE 6.1 in Rocks 5.0.3).
>
> Here are my three questions:
>
> 1) I need to setup my queue so that
> a user who hasn't been using the cluster much
> will get preference over a user who has been using
> it a lot. From what I've read, functional tickets
> are the way to handle this. Is this correct?
> Any good examples of how this is done?

Hi John,

The Functional Policy has no recording of past resource usage so if
you want prior usage to be taken into consideration you need to look
at the "Share Tree" policy. The Share Tree is the policy that can
"remember" and prioritize/penalize groups and individuals based on
past usage of a defined resource.

Probably poking around http://wikis.sun.com/display/GridEngine/Managing+Policies
  will help you with the basics

> 2) I need to do what's necessary so that a user
> can request a specific number of cores, but
> the cores all need to be on one node. If that
> number of cores isn't available on one node the
> job must wait rather than being started using more
> than one node. Am I right that a separate PE is the
> way to go here? Examples?

You are correct here that a PE is what you want.

The "secret" in your case is that you want the allocation_rule to be
set to "$pe_slots" -- this is the indicator that all requested CPUs
*must* reside within the same host.

The manpage for "sge_pe" will help here filling in any gaps.