[GE users] Virtualization and GridEngine

Daire Byrne Daire.Byrne at framestore.com
Thu Nov 6 12:26:54 GMT 2008

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody has ever considered using GridEngine to manage virtualized machines? There are many virtual machine managers appearing these days (e.g. Redhat's oVirt, OpenNebula, XenServer etc.) which all are moving towards managing many VMs on a cluster with features such as load balancing, live migration and server hardware matching.

Apart from live migration I think that most of the features of a VM manager could be replicated in GridEngine where a VM is a job. Controlling the job controls the VM with some starter_method, suspend_method, resume_method and terminate_method scripting. I did a quick search on Google but didn't really find anything relevant which usually means either nobody has tried it or it's a stupid idea! With two queues (say) the VMs could be started on one and then once they start up they become part of another execution queue.

Daire