[GE users] Virtualization and GridEngine

Thu Nov 6 13:29:02 GMT 2008

Hi Diare,

I know at least of one case where exactly this has been done:

- prolog/epilog used to launch/collapse the VM
- starter method used to start the job inside the VM via ssh
- termination/suspension/migration be implemented similarly

it's probably not the worst solution, but I can not say for sure,
if it went into production finally.

Regards,
Andreas

On Thu, 6 Nov 2008, Daire Byrne wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if anybody has ever considered using GridEngine to manage virtualized machines? There are many virtual machine managers appearing these days (e.g. Redhat's oVirt, OpenNebula, XenServer etc.) which all are moving towards managing many VMs on a cluster with features such as load balancing, live migration and server hardware matching.
>
> Apart from live migration I think that most of the features of a VM manager could be replicated in GridEngine where a VM is a job. Controlling the job controls the VM with some starter_method, suspend_method, resume_method and terminate_method scripting. I did a quick search on Google but didn't really find anything relevant which usually means either nobody has tried it or it's a stupid idea! With two queues (say) the VMs could be started on one and then once they start up they become part of another execution queue.
>
> Daire

http://gridengine.info/

Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028