[GE users] Workload management and virtualization

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Fri Nov 7 15:24:50 GMT 2008

Hi,

Am 07.11.2008 um 14:33 schrieb adoerr:

> there is currently a very interesting discussion ongoing concerning
> GridEngine and virtualization.
>
> I want to invite you to a little 'Thought Experiment'. From your point
> of view, how do you think should an ideal integrated solution for
> workload management *and* management of virtual resources should look
> like? Do you think this would be a good idea at all? Don't be shy and
> feel free to come up with a long wish list, Christmas is coming ;-)
>
> Please don't restrict yourself by what is doable in the context of
> Grid
> Engine. As I wrote in the beginning, this is intended to be a little
> thought experiment.

What we would like to have, is a checkpointing (& migration) facility
for long running applications - even for applications where only the
binaries are available.

Maybe it's not necessary to run a complete virtual machine for each
slot (and having one execd for the virtual machine and an additonal
one inside the virtual machine), but to emulate only some layer of a
virtual machine. The sge_shepherd becomes a sge_virtualizer with a
tighter integration of the outer and inner world. This would allow,
also to send e.g. signals from the outer machine to the program
running in the sge_virtualizer. As VirtualBox is not only open
source, but also now owned by SUN, maybe there are good options to
combine it.

-- Reuti