[GE users] SGE 6.2 & Advance Reservation

roland roland.dittel at sun.com
Mon Nov 10 10:29:14 GMT 2008

Hi Mark,

Mark Dixon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> First, many thanks for the new release! SGE 6.2 certainly has features
> which will come in useful. Speaking of which...
>
> I've been tinkering with the new Advance Reservation functionality on
> our test cluster. From the documentation and testing, I see that
> specific queue instances are given to a Reservation at submission time
> and that this allocation is static.
>
> For example, if an assigned host crashes, the Reservation goes into an
> error state (hard or soft). It does not attempt to adjust the list of
> resources given to the Reservation, even on an idle cluster.
>
> I had naively expected that the Advance Reservation functionality would
> take advantage of the pre-existing Resource Reservation feature: an
> error state would only be seen if an assigned host goes down and the
> scheduler could not honour the Reservation by identifying alternative
> resources it could use.
>
> Is anyone able to comment on this please?

You are right, it would be nice if outage queue instances would be
automatically replaced. This request is covered by IZ: 2639.

Best regards
Roland

> Best wishes,
>
> Mark

Roland Dittel               Tel: +49 (0)941 3075-275 (x60275)
Software Engineering        Fax: +49 (0)941 3075-222 (x60222)
Sun Microsystems GmbH
Dr.-Leo-Ritter-Str. 7       mailto:roland.dittel at sun.com
D-93049 Regensburg          http://www.sun.com/gridware
Registered Office / Sitz der Gesellschaft:
   Sun Microsystems GmbH
   Sonnenallee 1
   D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
   Germany
Commercial register of the Local Court of Munich /
Handelsregistereintrag Amtsgericht Muenchen:
   HRB 161028
Managing Directors / Geschaeftsfuehrer:
   Thomas Schroeder, Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Boemer
Chairman of the Supervisory Board / Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates
   Martin Haering