[GE users] run job only on hosts where software X is installed?

craffi dag at sonsorol.org
Mon Nov 10 18:39:03 GMT 2008

Hi Udo,

What you want is a "user-requestable resource" that is associated with
one or more exec hosts. Since this resource is just the presence/
absence of software (ie a true/false condition) you would want
(probably) to just set a boolean resource on the hosts that have the
software installed.

A complex entry called "mencoder=TRUE" associated with the hosts would
work.

Then you would submit jobs like "qsub -hard -l mencoder=TRUE ./my-job-
script.sh" and the job would only land on a node offering mencoder.

This URL may help:
http://wikis.sun.com/display/GridEngine/Configuring+Complex+Resource+Attributes

The load sensor is just the mechanism for reporting values that change
over time into the mechanism that tracks requestable or "consumable"
resources. This is way more complicated than you need as your values
don't change over time and are not "consumable".

Reading the docs on the SGE Complex, with an eye towards creating a
"user requestable boolean complex" is probably what will get you
started down the right path.

Regards,
Chris