[GE users] Array Jobs and Resource Allocation

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Tue Nov 11 13:39:06 GMT 2008

Am 11.11.2008 um 03:53 schrieb magawake:

>> Sorry for the confusion,
> PleAse don't be sorry,...You have helped my team many times and the
> community. Nothing to be sorry about :-)
>

> Do you happen to know the difference between, h_vmem (hard virtual
> memory) and virtual_free?

h_vmem - will enforced if the jobs allocates more than this
virtual_free - just a guidance for the scheduler when your users
usually are reliably and only violating it really seldom

On the exechost level, one or the other should be set to the
installed physical memory.

> Also,
>
> If the process preallocates 5G Virtual Memory (not Resident), I
> suppose I can use mem_total=10G? right? I am combining Virtual and
> Max Resident. Or to be safe I can use -l max_total=20G

If a job requests 5GB, it can use only 5 GB. Whether the actual
memory block is in memory or on the disk is an issue of the operating
system and may change overtime.