[GE users] qsub -terse on array jobs

Olesen, Mark Mark.Olesen at emcontechnologies.com
Wed Nov 12 12:40:05 GMT 2008

> I just noticed, that in 6.2 the option -terse will output:
>
> $ qsub -terse -t 1-10 test.sh
> 471.1-10:1
>
> is it supposed to be this way? I would expect the job id and nothing
> more. As this way you need a script again to get rid of the ".1-10:"
> if you want the output to be used for another command.
>
> Opinions?

It might look silly, and I don't really need it now, but I think it
could be useful at some point.

I wouldn't use a script to cleanse it though.
If you use a pipe,
   qsub -terse -t 1-10 test.sh | sed -e 's/\..*$//'
the qsub return code gets trashed.

I think this would be better:
   job_id=$(qsub -terse -t 1-10 test.sh)
   exitcode=$?

If you need the plain job id:
   echo "job_id=${job_id%.*}"

or in-place style change:
   job_id=${job_id%.*}

If you want to get at the task_id information:
   echo "task_ids=${job_id##*.}"

or get at the step-size (for whatever reason):
   echo "step=${job_id##*:}"

I'll leave the extraction of min, max taskIds as an exercise for the
reader ;)

/mark
message from your computer.