[GE users] post task command

jpolk jimp at gradientfx.com
Wed Nov 12 21:06:24 GMT 2008

Hi all,

Just recently, we successfully implemented a strategy to allocate all
our rendering
machines into three "pools",...such that jobs from Project A only run in
Pool A,
and so forth.  We do this by specifying a hostname list either at
submission time
with "qsub", or later with "qalter".

We have a little conundrum however ;-)....

During the wee hours of the night, the job(s, 'cause sometimes it's only
one long job)
in Pool-B and Pool-C finish and so the machines in those pools go idle.
We'd like to
have a way to automatically reallocate the machines from those idle
pools back into
Pool-A which is still running (in our example).

I see that there is a way to send mail to users when a jobtask finishes.
I wonder if there is a similar way to execute a command (probably a
"qalter" command)
when a jobtask finishes which would make the adjustment.  I spent
sometime looking
thru the various syntax of "qalter", but I couldn't find anything that
appeared to do the trick.

Does anybody have any experience with this? or might suggest another
alternative method?
Any and all input very much welcomed.
Thanks and cheers,
-Jim