[GE users] post task command

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed Nov 12 22:32:27 GMT 2008

Hi Jim,

Am 12.11.2008 um 22:06 schrieb jpolk:

> Just recently, we successfully implemented a strategy to allocate all
> our rendering
> machines into three "pools",...such that jobs from Project A only
> run in
> Pool A,
> and so forth.  We do this by specifying a hostname list either at
> submission time
> with "qsub", or later with "qalter".
>
> We have a little conundrum however ;-)....
>
> During the wee hours of the night, the job(s, 'cause sometimes it's
> only
> one long job)
> in Pool-B and Pool-C finish and so the machines in those pools go
> idle.
> We'd like to
> have a way to automatically reallocate the machines from those idle
> pools back into
> Pool-A which is still running (in our example).
>
> I see that there is a way to send mail to users when a jobtask
> finishes.
> I wonder if there is a similar way to execute a command (probably a
> "qalter" command)

in principle it could be done in a queue epilog, means to scan the
waiting jobs and change their resource request. But I'm not sure,
whether is the easiest approach.

> when a jobtask finishes which would make the adjustment.  I spent
> sometime looking
> thru the various syntax of "qalter", but I couldn't find anything that
> appeared to do the trick.
>
> Does anybody have any experience with this? or might suggest another
> alternative method?
> Any and all input very much welcomed.

Did I get you setup correct: you have e.g. 16 machines in pool A, 8
in pool B and 4 in pool C, while jobs are only allowed during day to
start in pool B or C. During night, after they are drained, you would
like to have a setup with 28 nodes just in pool A?

Are these 16+8+4 machines bound to dedicated nodes, or is it more
like having this amount of slots for each job type?