[GE users] relationship between qsub and qstat and queue allocations

Margaret Doll Margaret_Doll at brown.edu
Wed Nov 12 22:36:04 GMT 2008

qsub is not working the way that I thought it should.  Each qsub may
start several instances of a job, but it will

create only one instance of a running job showing in qmon
only one instance of a queued job using "qstat -f" and
seems to count  as only one job on one  of the  compute nodes.

For instance, I am using

qsub -q mem16.q shll

where shll includes:

#!/bin/bash
#$ -o $HOME/works-1/Out
#$ -j y
/opt/openmpi/bin/mpiexec -v -n 17 -machinefile $Home/works-1/
machinefile $Home/works-1/mad

machinefile includes:

compute-0-10
compute-0-11
compute-0-10
compute-0-11
compute-0-10
compute-0-11
compute-0-10
compute-0-11
compute-0-10
compute-0-11
compute-0-10
compute-0-11
compute-0-10
compute-0-11
compute-0-10
compute-0-11
compute-0-10
compute-0-11

I have each of the  compute nodes set to run  only eight queued jobs
at  a time.

A queued job will show up on compute-0-10 when I run "qstat -f"

compute-0-10 will be running  9 instances of the program; compute-0-11
will be running 8.

What am I doing incorrectly?