[GE users] Compensation Factor and Fair Tree Scheduling

magawake magawake at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 12:22:55 GMT 2008

As many of you know I am using fair tree at my university.

I was wondering what the default compensation factor is. I had mine set to 5. But I am not sure what the relationship is for the fair tree, half life (which I know what it does).

According to the wiki -- Reasonable values range between 2 and 10 --

Also, for fair tree what is the best Ticket Policy Hierachy? I am currently using OFS.

Also, should I share Override and Functional tickets? By reading qstat -ext I don't want to have anything functional. I want it to be true fair share for users.

Also, how does the priority (which is dynamic) and wait time relate? If I have a priority of .777 (which is high for a user) and her job is in 'qw', is it safe to say her job may run next?

TIA