[GE users] Limit jobs a user can run in a queue

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Thu Nov 13 22:55:06 GMT 2008

Hi,

Am 13.11.2008 um 21:17 schrieb Simon Gao:

> gsat77 wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> You can limit using resource quota configuration.
>> http://gridengine.sunsource.net/nonav/source/browse/~checkout~/
>> gridengine/doc/devel/rfe/ResourceQuotaSpecification.html
>> <http://gridengine.sunsource.net/nonav/source/browse/%7Echeckout%
>> 7E/gridengine/doc/devel/rfe/ResourceQuotaSpecification.html>
>>
>> But this feature is supported on SGE 6.x
>>
>> Sathya
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 12:08 PM, Simon Gao
>> <Simon.Gao at schrodinger.com
>> <mailto:Simon.Gao at schrodinger.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hi,
>>
>>     Is there a way to limit the max number of jobs one user can
>> run in one
>>     queue?
>>
>>     Simon

> Thanks. The cluster runs SGE 6.0u8. So we have to find a way to
> make it
> work with 6.0.

in 6.0 you can only set in general to be the same for all users:
maxujobs in the scheduler configuration (man sched_conf).

If you want different limits for each user, this only works when your
users behave fair: you could create a complex per user with a) the
name of the user and b) the number of allowed slots set for this user
in the global configuration.

Then each user will have to request this parameter in qsub, e.g.
`qsub -l simon=1 myjob.sh`

This you can of course put in each user's home dircetory in a file
"~/.sge_request` with just the line "-l simon=1" without any need to
tell the users about it. Until they discover that they can override
it with "-l simon=0" (man sge_request)...