[GE users] Unexpected behavior during simultaneous job submissions?

Jonathan Pierce jonathan.pierce at loni.ucla.edu
Fri Nov 14 01:03:13 GMT 2008

Hi All,

One of our users has a script that submits 494 jobs, which he ran this
morning; based on qstat, the first job was reported at 09:17:59 and
the last at 09:18:53. While most are now happily executing, 19 of
those jobs started out in a "zombie" state, so to speak.  'qstat -j
[jobID]' returns information, and qstat -f shows the job in state
'r'.  However, 'qacct -j [jobID]', reports the error job id not found
(and a quick inspection on the node the job is supposedly running
confirms nothing is executing).  Has anybody seen this behavior before?

Taking a step back, we've been discovering a number of zombie jobs
recently, most of which do not originate from this script.  Is this
behavior indicative of some greater failure?

Thank you very much,
Jonathan

Jonathan Pierce
Systems Administrator