[GE users] Existing RPMs for SGE 6.2

Olesen, Mark Mark.Olesen at emcontechnologies.com
Fri Nov 14 09:41:17 GMT 2008

Hi Edward,

> Our organization is looking to upgrade our two SGE compute clusters to
> version 6.2. We want to be able to package the software in an RPM so
> we can easily distribute it to all the machines. I was looking into
> how to accomplish this and it seems to be quite a chore. So I was
> wondering if anyone had already packaged version 6.2 into an RPM that
> we could use? All the RPMs I've been able to find so far have been of
> 6.1 or older.

I used that route when we first started with the GridEngine, but I've
departed from it fairly quickly. If you use some pre-packaged rpms, you
have to hope that the packager decided to use the same spooling types
and locations. And hope that they marked the configuration directory as
such, otherwise you risk deleting your cluster configuration with an
"rpm -U".
In the end, we decided that a really simple home-grown solution worked
much better. Depending on your needs, the script could either simply
setup the NFS-shares for shared binaries/configuration, use rsync to
copy over a particular set of binaries, install the rc-scripts, create
any local spools if required, etc.

For our configuration, we have NFS-shared configuration and binaries,
with local classic spooling (eg, /var/spool/grid/)

In our case, I've placed the script in directory of site-specific
scripts that exists parallel to the normal 'common/' directory:
   Eg, $SGE_ROOT/$SGE_CELL/site/util/NODE_INSTALLATION_SCRIPT

This makes it fairly easy to manage.

To complete things, I use pdsh and supply it a name of hosts based on
the GridEngine host-groups.  The attached script does the host expansion
of the GridEngine host-groups.

You could then use it like this,
  pdsh -R ssh -w $(hgrp -c @group) CMD

/mark