[GE users] OR operator for Consumable complexes ?

Olesen, Mark Mark.Olesen at emcontechnologies.com
Mon Nov 17 10:36:18 GMT 2008

> There are certain applications for example Ansys Fluent which can use
> multiple types of licenses to do the same work. Eg- In the case of
> Fluent

> You have fluent-par licenses which are used for the parallel processes
> and fluent licenses which are for serial fluent runs. However in cases
> where the fluent-par licenses are exhausted , the application can
> start using the fluent serial licenses as parallel licenses.

> In such cases when requesting for the consumable complexes called
> fluent and fluent-par in SGE on would like to do something like

> qsub -pe make 8 -l fluent-par=1|fluent=1

> meaning use the fluent-par licenses if they are available if not use
> the fluent licenses instead

> Is something like that possible in SGE today ?

The solution that Reuti suggested sometime ago: just introduce double
bookkeeping.

If you have complexes 'fluentp' (parallel) and 'fluents' (serial), you
can also define a complex 'fluent' that is a combination of both.

If your job should *only* use parallel licenses:
    -l fluent=1,fluentp=1
For exclusive use of serial licenses:
    -l fluent=1,fluents=1
If you don't actually care which licenses are used:
    -l fluent=1.

You'll probably want to look at 'derived' types in the qlicserver code
(assuming that you are using this license integration method).
I'm not sure if the current published version properly handles
user-defined limits with the derived types, but the next release should
have this fixed.

/mark
message from your computer.