[GE users] Query on SGE configuration

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Mon Nov 17 16:05:01 GMT 2008

Am 17.11.2008 um 10:39 schrieb jigar_halani:

> I have a query on preemption configuration , this is how the
> requirement looks
>
> A pool has 10 CPU?s in total and there are 2 types of jobs long and
> short. The long jobs run for more than 5 hours and the short ones
> run for 2-3 minutes. Since the total number of CPU?s available are
> so small,, I am looking at using all 10 CPU?s for both long and
> short jobs. I am looking at a config where I could suspend the long
> jobs running in the long.q when short jobs get submitted to a queue
> named short.q. If the suspended job continues to be in suspend mode
> for more than 30 minutes, I would like the suspended job to be
> resubmitted back to the long.q.

you can reschedule a job by a suspension, but for making it happen
after 30 minutes I see no option built into SGE. You could write a co-
scheduler, monitoring the jobs and issue the appropriate commands.

OTOH: Let the user decide. If the job is suspended a long time, they
can issue `qmod -rj job_id` on their own anyway. But this is not
predictable. I mean: the next time they may have more luck or less.
Do you allow short jobs on all nodes of the cluster? Maybe it would
be good to set aside only one node for short running jobs.

-- Reuti