[GE users] group resource quota

brs brs at usf.edu
Tue Nov 18 15:51:01 GMT 2008

Hi, Reuti,

How about another example:

Say I want to limit vmem usage for all users on any host to, say, 95% of
the physical memory available (not exactly how I would set it up, but
you get the idea).  Could I accomplish this like so?

{
   name         vmem_limit
   description  "Limit users to only 95% of total physical memory to avoid \
   swaping"
   enabled      FALSE
   limit        hosts {*} to h_vmem=$mem_total*0.95
}

And how would this limit manifest itself?  Would the first job that
tried to allocate more than the quota allows bomb on a malloc() or
something?  Is this even possible within the rqs or should I just use
limits.conf?

Thanks,
Brian Smith

reuti wrote:
> Am 18.11.2008 um 12:33 schrieb ywan:
>

>> On Tue, 18 Nov 2008, reuti wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,

>>> RQS are looking into running jobs only, not waiting ones. Hence you
>>> could limit the number of consumed slots per userset, but not the
>>> jobs. If you have only serial ones, it's of course the same.
>>>
>>> limit user @mygroup to slots=10
>>>
>>> Without the curly braces {} it's in total, not for each one in the
>>> userset.
>>>
>>> The settings for jobs in total or per user in SGE's configuration are
>>> only global for all users.
>>>
>>> -- Reuti
>>>
>> Thanks Reuti,
>>
>> limit user @mygroup to slots=10
>>
>> - The slots quota of userset mygroup is 10
>>
>> limit user {@mygroup} to slots=10
>>
>> - The slots quota of each member in userset mygroup is 10
>>
>> Is it right?
>>

> `man sge_resource_quota` section "imit" will list the details.
>
> -- Reuti
>

>> --Yuan

>> Unix Section
>> Information Services Infrastructure Division
>> University of Edinburgh
>>
>> tel: 0131 650 4985
>> email: ywan at ed.ac.uk
>>
>> 2012 Computing Services, JCMB
>> The King's Buildings,
>> Edinburgh, EH9 3JZ
>>

>> --

Brian Smith
HPC Systems Administrator
Research Computing, University of South Florida
4202 E. Fowler Ave. LIB618
Office Phone: +1 813 974-1467
Organization URL: http://rc.usf.edu