[GE users] group resource quota

brs brs at usf.edu
Tue Nov 18 17:10:06 GMT 2008

Are they enforced by the scheduler then? Will a job be stopped if a
limit, such as

limit hosts {*} to virtual_total=$mem_total*0.95

is exceeded? And then if so, which job(s) will be halted/notified/etc.?
I'm just trying to get an idea of what I can do with rqs to establish
some sane limits.

Thanks,
-Brian

andreas wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Nov 2008, brs wrote:
>

>> Hi, Reuti,
>>
>> How about another example:
>>
>> Say I want to limit vmem usage for all users on any host to, say, 95% of
>> the physical memory available (not exactly how I would set it up, but
>> you get the idea).  Could I accomplish this like so?
>>
>> {
>>   name         vmem_limit
>>   description  "Limit users to only 95% of total physical memory to avoid \
>>   swaping"
>>   enabled      FALSE
>>   limit        hosts {*} to h_vmem=$mem_total*0.95
>> }
>>
>> And how would this limit manifest itself?  Would the first job that
>> tried to allocate more than the quota allows bomb on a malloc() or
>> something?  Is this even possible within the rqs or should I just use
>> limits.conf?
>>

> This does not (yet) work. Reason is that resource quota limits are
> not enforced as resource limits. If they were malloc()
> would return NULL once the quota is exceeded.
>
> Regards,
> Andreas
>
> http://gridengine.info/
>
> Sitz der Gesellschaft: Sun Microsystems GmbH, Sonnenallee 1, D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
> Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028
> Geschaeftsfuehrer: Thomas Schroeder, Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Boemer

Brian Smith
HPC Systems Administrator
Research Computing, University of South Florida
4202 E. Fowler Ave. LIB618
Office Phone: +1 813 974-1467
Organization URL: http://rc.usf.edu