[GE users] group resource quota

andreas andreas.haas at sun.com
Tue Nov 18 17:36:17 GMT 2008

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008, brs wrote:

> Are they enforced by the scheduler then? Will a job be stopped if a
> limit, such as
>
> limit hosts {*} to virtual_total=$mem_total*0.95
>
> is exceeded? And then if so, which job(s) will be halted/notified/etc.?

The scheduler (i.e. the component that schedules jobs) takes them into
account, but the component that executes the jobs does not enforce these
limits.

> I'm just trying to get an idea of what I can do with rqs to establish
> some sane limits.

You can do really lots with RQS, but enforcing resource limits for jobs doesn't
work. If this sounds confusing for you, you must note that I use 'resource limits'
actually as a fix term that stands for the resource limiting parameters that you
can find directly in the queue configuration. Namely: s_rt, h_rt, s_cpu, h_cpu,
s_fsize, h_fsize, s_data, h_data, s_stack, h_stack, s_core, h_core, s_rss, h_rss,
s_vmem, h_vmem. In contrast to these, the 'slots' is considered by the scheduler
and enforced.

Regards,
Andreas

> Thanks,
> -Brian
>
> andreas wrote:
>> On Tue, 18 Nov 2008, brs wrote:
>>

>>> Hi, Reuti,
>>>
>>> How about another example:
>>>
>>> Say I want to limit vmem usage for all users on any host to, say, 95% of
>>> the physical memory available (not exactly how I would set it up, but
>>> you get the idea).  Could I accomplish this like so?
>>>
>>> {
>>>   name         vmem_limit
>>>   description  "Limit users to only 95% of total physical memory to avoid \
>>>   swaping"
>>>   enabled      FALSE
>>>   limit        hosts {*} to h_vmem=$mem_total*0.95
>>> }
>>>
>>> And how would this limit manifest itself?  Would the first job that
>>> tried to allocate more than the quota allows bomb on a malloc() or
>>> something?  Is this even possible within the rqs or should I just use
>>> limits.conf?
>>>

>> This does not (yet) work. Reason is that resource quota limits are
>> not enforced as resource limits. If they were malloc()
>> would return NULL once the quota is exceeded.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Andreas
>>
>> http://gridengine.info/
>>
>> Sitz der Gesellschaft: Sun Microsystems GmbH, Sonnenallee 1, D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
>> Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028
>> Geschaeftsfuehrer: Thomas Schroeder, Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Boemer
>> Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Martin Haering

> --
> Brian Smith
> HPC Systems Administrator
> Research Computing, University of South Florida
> 4202 E. Fowler Ave. LIB618
> Office Phone: +1 813 974-1467
> Organization URL: http://rc.usf.edu

http://gridengine.info/