[GE users] group resource quota

andreas andreas.haas at sun.com
Wed Nov 19 10:27:20 GMT 2008

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008, reuti wrote:

> Am 18.11.2008 um 17:48 schrieb andreas:
>
>> On Tue, 18 Nov 2008, brs wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, Reuti,
>>>
>>> How about another example:
>>>
>>> Say I want to limit vmem usage for all users on any host to, say,
>>> 95% of
>>> the physical memory available (not exactly how I would set it up, but
>>> you get the idea).  Could I accomplish this like so?
>>>
>>> {
>>>   name         vmem_limit
>>>   description  "Limit users to only 95% of total physical memory
>>> to avoid \
>>>   swaping"
>>>   enabled      FALSE
>>>   limit        hosts {*} to h_vmem=$mem_total*0.95
>>> }
>>>
>>> And how would this limit manifest itself?  Would the first job that
>>> tried to allocate more than the quota allows bomb on a malloc() or
>>> something?  Is this even possible within the rqs or should I just use
>>> limits.conf?
>>
>> This does not (yet) work. Reason is that resource quota limits are
>> not enforced as resource limits. If they were malloc()
>> would return NULL once the quota is exceeded.
>
> And the reason is not, that it's only working (the formula) for INT
> and DOUBLE?

No. It's because resource limitations that would stem from RQS are
simply disregarded with the 'math exercise' that is done right before
job delivery from qmaster to execd.

> I just tried it, and the RQS seems simply to be ignored when I
> request -l h_vmem with the above RQS in place. Jobs get scheduled
> although they shouldn't.

Hmmmmm. Should be a different problem. Above I see it in
disabled state. Could it be that you forgot to enable it?

Note, I ran a quick test with the very same RQS using a job that requests 10G like this

   qsub -l h_vmem=10G -b y /bin/sleep 5

it gets me

    Job cannot run because it exceeds limit "////morfin/" in rule "vmem_limit/1"

as 'scheduling info' when I run qstat -j <jobid> in a 6.1u5 installation with 'morfin' having 8G as total_mem.

Regards,
Andreas

Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028