[GE users] Cannot make virtual_free consumable?

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Thu Nov 20 10:39:19 GMT 2008

Hi,

Am 20.11.2008 um 11:07 schrieb Piotr Domagalski:

> I'm using SGE 6.2 and it seems that switching virtual_free resource to
> consumable doesn't work for me. Here's the definition of the complex:
>
> virtual_free        vf         MEMORY      <=    YES         YES
>  0        0
>
> I've attached this complex to my host:
>
>   szalik at photon:~$ qconf -se photon
>   complex_values        virtual_free=4G
>
>   szalik at photon:~$ qstat -F |grep virtual_free
> 	hc:virtual_free=2.087G

is there anything else running on this machine and consuming memory,
although not requested? virtual_free is a guidance for SGE and will
not be enforced.

> Now when I submit a job:
>
>   qsub -l virtual_free=1G
>
> The job is runnig but I still get:
>
>   szalik at photon:~$ qstat -F |grep virtual_free
>   	hc:virtual_free=2.091G

4G - 1G would 3G, but the lower value of the calculated consumable
and the measured load value is taken - both are in effect. So,
someting else is using memory.

-- Reuti