[GE users] Cannot make virtual_free consumable?

Piotr Domagalski piotr.domagalski at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 12:51:20 GMT 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 11:39 AM, reuti <reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de> wrote:
>> I've attached this complex to my host:
>>
>>   szalik at photon:~$ qconf -se photon
>>   complex_values        virtual_free=4G
>>
>>   szalik at photon:~$ qstat -F |grep virtual_free
>>       hc:virtual_free=2.087G
>
> is there anything else running on this machine and consuming memory,
> although not requested? virtual_free is a guidance for SGE and will
> not be enforced.

Let me explain my understanding of this consumable complex. I thought
that I could set virtual_free to 4G or any other higher value just as
a dummy value. I wanted the actual reading of load sensor to be used.
Then, when job requests the memory, the value is subtracted from the
actual value of virtual_free (2.087G in this case).

>> Now when I submit a job:
>>
>>   qsub -l virtual_free=1G
>>
>> The job is runnig but I still get:
>>
>>   szalik at photon:~$ qstat -F |grep virtual_free
>>       hc:virtual_free=2.091G
>
> 4G - 1G would 3G, but the lower value of the calculated consumable
> and the measured load value is taken - both are in effect.

Hmm. I thought that the lower of 2.091G and 4G is used and then the
subtraction is done so in my case I wanted to get
hc:virtual_free=1.091G after the job submission.

So is it at all possible to use load sensor as the initial value of
virtual_free and treat it as consumable at the same time? I don't want
to set arbitrary initial value for virtual_free (or my own
consumable).

--
Piotr Domagalski